We are currently recruiting for a Policy Manager and a Membership Experience Assistant (paid intern).
As Policy Manager you will coordinate all Policy Activities at AmCham Belgium, ideally starting as soon as possible.
What you tell your friends you do
"I'm the go-to reference for Belgian public policy matters for international companies."
What you will really be doing
- Coordinating all policy activities and managing the implementation of our 2019-2024 Policy Plan.
- Positioning the Chamber as a leading voice in policy discussions in collaboration with the Chief Executive.
- Working with the policy-focused Committees and ensuring the coordination of their diverse activities as well as managing, and potentially executing, the staff liaison role and ensuring all the projects they undertake are supported, efficiently resourced and implemented.
- Managing the Year of Healthcare (2020) and coordinating internal resources to ensure efficient implementation that meets the goals set by the sponsoring committee.
- Liaising efficiently with the External Affairs Director to ensure that the main website and other media channels effectively communicate the work of the policy committees and are a source of accurate information which encourages engagement for our overall membership.
- Liaising with the External Affairs Director and his team to ensure the policy work of the committees is effectively communicated to all and other stakeholders using all media channels in a targeted way.
- Managing and developing relevant periodic policy publications, such as our Importance of US Companies or our Policy Priorities reports.
- Liaising with the External Affairs Director to ensure the #Yes2Belgium and the Importance of US Companies brand of publications is regularly added to and becomes a showcase not only for US companies but for all member companies.
- Managing your small team so that our members have the added value of high-quality, professional service.
How will you be doing this?
- You will stay on top of policy developments by following Belgium’s business and financial media and sharing the highlights with AmCham team.
- You will find and share information on different policy areas, from a variety of sources.
- You will pro-actively gather feedback from our members and use it to inform your work.
- There is always a budget for good ideas.
What we have worked on last quarter
- Our election manifesto, the 2019 Priorities for a Prosperous Belgium, released in February 2019.
- An active outreach program to all democratic political parties in the run-up to the elections.
AmCham Belgium Team
You will be managing a team of three which is an integral part of a dedicated and international team with their own specific responsibilities and interests.
Required experience & skills
- You have three to five years’ experience in the policy and government affairs world and have a clear understanding of the Belgian political scene where you have a network of established contacts.
- You are trilingual in English, Dutch (essential) and French; one of these being your mother tongue and having a high spoken and written level in the other two.
- You have good and proven people management skills.
- You are a ‘people’ person, able to interact naturally with individuals from different backgrounds and points of view, experience and seniority levels, etc. You have a proven track record in building relationships of trust with political contacts and other stakeholders.
- You enjoy teamwork and can demonstrate you have the ability to multitask and ensure overlapping projects are implemented well and on time
- Like our mascot the bald eagle, you pay great attention to detail.
- A 6 months full-time contract, leading to a permanent contract.
- The opportunity to organize policy-related events and to attend internal and external events where you will find knowledge, inspiration and the chance to meet and interact with our high-level business and political contacts.
- The tools you need to do your job right, including new cloud applications like O365 and SugarCRM.
- Room for you to do things your way.
- An office in the heart of EU Quarter so there's plenty to do when you're not at work.
When and how you will apply
- Deadline is COB July 31 2019 but we encourage candidates to apply as soon as possible, as interviews will take place on an ongoing basis and we reserve the right to make a recruitment decision before the deadline.
- Send us your cover letter and CV (maximum two pages) by email to Ms. Sibille Allgayer at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Application Policy Manager – your name”. Please mention your availability in your cover letter.
We will interview
- On an ongoing basis, as candidates are selected.
Membership Experience Assistant (paid internship)
As the Membership Experience Assistant at AmCham Belgium you will assist in communicating and engaging with members, most importantly through our events.
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our team in Brussels, starting in early September 2019 for a period of six months. This is a paid internship.
AmCham Belgium is a non-profit membership organization and one of the largest and most influential business organizations in the country. Founded in 1948, we have around 450 members who together strive for a more competitive and prosperous Belgium. We do this by representing our members in the public debate and by organizing all kinds of events to offer networking opportunities and a platform to share knowledge, best practices and issues affecting our members.
What you will be doing
- Events planning: Help plan interesting events for our members and the international business community in Belgium
- Events marketing: Market our events through email and social media
- Events logistics:
- Before: Prepare all necessary materials for events (e.g.: badges, participant list, etc.)
- During: Handle on-site logistics (e.g.: setup, breakdown, etc.)
- After: Collect feedback through surveys and participate in debriefings
- Member communication:
- Develop campaigns to celebrate our members and communicate benefits
- Write blog posts about our activities and other topics of interest to the community
- Support content development and preparation of the weekly members-only newsletter
- Member experience:
- Assist in the delivery of a positive member experience by helping with communications and community-related projects
- Provide our members with high-quality, professional service
Experience and skills
- You are creative, with good writing skills and a flare for (visual) communication
- You have an interest in events planning, marketing and communications, previous experience would be an asset
- You are tech-savvy and familiar with Microsoft Office applications and able to learn and adapt to new systems and processes quickly
- You are fluent in English (mother tongue or near-native level) and have a good command of either Dutch and/or French
- You take pride in what you do and welcome feedback
- You have excellent organizational skills, are able to work independently and take responsibility
- Like our mascot the bald eagle, you pay great attention to detail
AmCham Belgium Team
- You will be working in a dedicated and international team and report to the Events Manager.
- A six-month paid internship contract (convention d’immersion professionnelle / beroepsinlevingsstage)
- The opportunity to attend our events, where you will find inspiration and the chance to meet and interact with our extensive network of business and political contacts
- The tools and training you need to do your job well, including cloud applications like O365, SugarCRM, Net-Results, etc.
- An office in the heart of the EU Quarter, so there’s plenty to do when you’re not at work
When and how you will apply
- Deadline is Friday, August 2, 2019. However we reserve the right to make a recruitment decision before the deadline.
- Send us your cover letter and CV (in the format ‘LAST NAME First name’) by email to Ms. Sibille Allgayer at email@example.com with the subject line “Application Membership Experience Assistant – LAST NAME First name”.
- Please let us know where you saw this position advertised, as well as your availability.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.