The last several years have seen rapid growth in the deployment of US sanctions, including secondary sanctions designed to target non-US companies operating wholly outside of the United States. This follow-up session to our 2017 event is designed to provide participants with a practical framework to help navigate the complex sanctions rules administered by the US Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and the US Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS).
This interactive discussion will include:
- An overview of how US sanctions rules and relevant export control rules work
- A discussion of how US rules apply to European companies
- An overview of the most relevant US secondary sanctions
- An update on the most recent developments, including those related to Russia, Iran, Venezuela and Cuba
- Best practices for compliance, including a discussion of prohibited party screening, due diligence and ownership research, working with banks, and understanding licenses and exemptions to US rules
The discussion will be of interest to companies in the energy, financial, technology, pharmaceutical, aviation and manufacturing industries, among others and will be followed by a Q&A session and networking reception.