The Author Minimize

Hans van Velzen

Attorney, Van Velzen C.S.

Hans van Velzen

Attorney, Van Velzen C.S.


The Docket: US Non-Immigrant Visa Categories

Employment visas for entrepreneurs and their management

Thinking about expanding your business to the USA? This month’s edition of The Docket looks at your workable options.

Are you playing with the idea of expanding your business activities to the USA – a country with a whopping 300 million available consumers?

Despite certain restrictions, there are still feasible possibilities and opportunities to legally start working, living and starting your business in the United States of America.

If you are about to or already have invested a substantial amount in a new or existing US enterprise – or when your company has had extensive trade with the USA for some time – there are several ‘workable options’.

For example, what if you want to supervise operations, have your family close to you, make sure your children attend school, and have your spouse working with you in your own firm. If done right, this is all legally possible. The answer is the so-called E-1 (Treaty Trader) or E-2 (Investor) visa. Both categories allow for multiple years of residence and employment, are renewable and have long validity terms (up to five years).

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. For more in-depth information, visit the AmCham Belgium Business Library and get a detailed overview of conditions applicable to issuance of these two types of visas as well as examples.

 AmCham Connect home Minimize
European Council of American Chambers of Commerce US Chamber of Commerce